Tag Archives: spellcasting

Update 9/16/2015

I know it has been a while since I have posted, but I have been busy.

A big part of the spell casting redesign was an issue with Unity3d’s matchmaking system. There is a limit to how much bandwidth that can be used, and I was hitting that limit due to the nature of the spell prefabs I was using. Now instead of a prefab for each spell there is a prefab for each spell type and the effects get assigned when the spell is cast. This brings the amount of data that needs to be sent to the server/clients down by a lot.

The second part of the redesign is a scripting system. I have been looking into several ways of doing this, but I haven’t committed a lot of actual code yet. There is quite a bit to consider with this, and I want to get it right.

Lastly I have also been looking into some AI for the champion servers. These will be large battle fields with a boss creature. When these events run, the groups that take down the champion will receive weighted loot drops. As of right now all items are cosmetic for either your player or your house.

The menu for the game is going to be a small mini game that allows you to go to a market, use a magical portal to join servers, has a house for you to decorate and display any awards you may have earned, and use a chest in your house to customize your mage.

Spellcast System Redesign

Right now the spell casting system works as such: A script waits for a key to be pressed. When one is, it loops through the spells for a spell with a matching assigned key.  If a match is found, it begins waiting for the cast delay before turning on the targeting system. It works great. But it is wrong.

I am working on a new system that will allow you to assign a sequence of tasks to a key.

  1. Cast regenerate
  2. Wait for spell ready
  3. Target self

Update 9/4/2015

Change log:

  • Buff/Debuff Stat spells
  • Poison/Cure spells
  • Bug fixes
  • Refactoring

I wanted to say thank you to everyone reading this blog. I really appreciate seeing some interest in this project. I really hope I can open up some form of lines of communication with people that may be interested. I really don’t want to develop this in a vacuum. So please feel free to message me here or on twitter @magedules or @utilitron.


Currently working on:

  • Player intro (“interactive” menu)
  • Game mode concepts
  • Particle effect revamps
  • Bug fixes
  • Refactoring
  • Listing current matches

Update 9/1/2015


Change log:

  • Show joining player hp stats.
  • Bug fixes
  • Refactoring

I had a lot of fun play testing over the weekend. I think I played more then I actually worked on the game!

I was able to jot down a few concerns and issues my self or some of the other players had. I have been going through those issues and addressing them as I can. The big one was an issue with projectile spells hitting yourself. This hopefully has been fixed.

I also did a bunch of code refactoring. I fixed several spots to make the code cleaner, and hopefully more reusable.

I also played around with blender a bit. I am not a very good artists so I wasn’t able to make huge changes to the graphics yet. I do have an artist helping out, but I may need additional help.

Currently working on:

  • Disconnect/Stop Match
  • Player intro (“interactive” menu)

Update 8/21/2015

The past week has been a bit slow, progress wise. I have been working on making better particle effects, and procrastinating on a big change to the spell casting system, So, last night, I sat down and refactored the casting system so it will be easier to add in the cast delay associated with each spell. I also laid down the groundwork for displaying the words of power when a spell is cast.

Currently working on:

  • Poison/Cure
  • Words of power
  • Reworking the particles